Thursday, February 17, 2005
Chocolate and Cherry Friands
Butter for greasing
½ cup plain flour
½ cup Dutch cocoa
11/4 cups icing sugar
1 cup (100gr) ground hazelnuts
5 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla essence
180gr butter, melted
525gr pitted black cherries canned in syrup
2. Brush 10 friand moulds with melted butter and place on a baking tray.
3. Sift flour, cocoa and icing sugar into a large bowl. Stir in hazelnuts.
4. Put egg whites into a medium sized bowl and whisk with a fork until frothy, then fold through dry ingredients.
5. Stir through vanilla and melted butter until just combined.
6. Spoon batter into prepared moulds.
7. Press 2 cherries into each friend, covering with batter.
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until friends pop up in the middle and spring back when lightly pressed with finger.
9. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
10.Serve with remaining pitted cherries